Jane Addams Trail

&

Freeport, Illinois thru Orangeville, Illinois to the Wisconsin State Line
815-233-1357

Website: www.janeaddamstrail.com

Open: Dawn to Dusk

This multi-use 17 mile trail offers beautiful scenery and 22 bridges, including a covered bridge in Orangeville, passing wetlands, creeks, woods, prairies, geologic formations and farmland. The trail, named after Jane Addams, the Nobel Peace Prize humanitarian and Hull House settlement founder born and raised in nearby Cedarville, is part of the Grand Illinois Trail which traverses northern Illinois from Lake Michigan to the Mississippi River. The 13 miles of trail between the Wes Block Trailhead and the Wisconsin state line is a crushed limestone surface which may be used by hikers, bicyclists, snowmobilers, and cross-country skiers. The 4 miles of trail between the Wes Block Trailhead and Tutty’s Crossing Trailhead, located adjacent to the Pecatonica River in historic downtown Freeport, is an asphalt paved surface. This segment crosses the 1885 Van Buren Street Bridge to the Old River School Historic District, the original north entryway into the City and site of Tutty Baker’s Cabin, the founder of Freeport, and through historic downtown Freeport which offers specialty shops, restaurants, attractions and more. At Tutty’s Crossing, the Jane Addams Trail connects with the Pecatonica Prairie Trail currently under development between Freeport and Rockford. The Jane Addams Trail connects at the Wisconsin state line to the Badger Trail which extends to Madison, Wisconsin. Access to the trail is available at the Tutty’s Crossing Trailhead, 250 E. Stephenson Street, in downtown Freeport, the Wes Block Trailhead, 2636 W. Fairview Road, Freeport (exit off Highway 26 1/4 mile south of the Highway 20 intersection), at Cedarville Road, 2875 W. Cedarville Road, at Red Oak, Beaver Road off Red Oak Road, Buena Vista at McConnell Road, and at the Richland Creek Trailhead, 101 N. Ewing Street, Orangeville (east of Highway 26). Trail maps are available.

Back